Two months before my first Olympic Triathlon, and almost 60 weeks before my first Iron Man, I thought it might be time for some reflections on progress towards my goals.
So if the goal is the summit of Everest.
I think I finally made it to SFO…
My flight has not yet left for Nepal.
And have a long way to get to base camp…
Before I make it to the summit
So let’s look at the plan…
- Bike 112 miles averaging more than 15 miles an hour… I have only been able to sustain a greater than 15 mile pace once in my life and that was for 1 hour… Today I can’t bike 10 miles an hour the day after my long runs…
- Swim faster than I normally swim for longer than I have ever swam
- Re-learn how to swim … My swimming technique is about 20+ years out of date.
- Do a marathon after 1 and 2
- Fix my cadence.
- Lose a lot of weight because there is this calorie consumption problem…
And where are we now
- Was able to finish 30 miles at a 16.5 mile an hour pace. Still not good enough, but tremendous progress.
- Well I was looking at my swimming splits before I started training, and I am now doing 2:20/100m vs 2:44/100m so definitely progress there.
- I am killing it on my technique. Went from 16-17 strokes per length to 11-12 over 25 meters. Still a way to go…
- Haven’t lost much speed.
- Not quite there, but now was able to sustain 88 pedals per minute over 2:30
- Have lost 13 of the many pounds I have to lose.